Morocco is one of my favourite places to visit and is excellent for photography. It has a variety of landscapes from the rocky coastline, empty deserts, snow capped mountains, and bustling towns & cities. The people are friendly, the food delicious and the travel is cheap. For people in the UK I always think of Morocco as being the closest place that you can fly to that has the biggest cultural differences to home. This blog was published as a photojournal for the online magazine Dezine. Click through the slideshow below to view my travel photographs taken around Morocco:
The first time arriving in Morroco can be a bit of a culture shock! Marrakech for example is an ambush on the senses: street performers approach you with snakes and monkeys, dark twisting alleyways entice you until you get lost and a constant buzz seems to radiate throughout the city. However, it is good fun, safe and always makes for interesting experiences. A few years ago I returned to Morocco for a couple of weeks with a friend. Starting in Marrakech we moved on to the Atlas Mountains for some solitude before heading to the coastline and visiting the cities of Casablanca, Rabat, Kenitra and Meknes. Below is a description of the photos in the slideshow above in the order they are seen with links to the individual images on my Flickr account:
1. Golden hour at Jemaa el-Fnaa, the main square and market place in Marrakesh's medina quarter.
2. Berbers, are an ethnic group indigenous to North Africa. Three locals enjoying the view from their backyard in the Atlas Mountains.
3. Locals play on the beach at Casablanca while the sun sets.
4. The Hassan II Mosque or Grande Mosquée Hassan II is on the coastline of Casablanca and is the largest mosque in Morocco.
5. A man enjoys nature and solitude in front of the Atlantic Ocean on the coastline close to the city of Rabat.
6. A bodyboarder heads to the beach for a surf in Kenitra in the North of Morocco.
7. A local enjoys the view of the coastline from the colourful cliffs of Rabat.
I have written several previous travel photo essays for Dezine which can be found on their website. More of my travel photography can be found on my website, my Instagram, my Facebook and my Flickr account. If you are interested in purchasing any prints, using an image online or collaborating in any way please email: email@example.com.